Do you pronounce gnocchi ‘Knee-O-Key’ or ‘Knock-E’? I promise my Italian heart won’t judge you… too much.. depending on how you say it 😂
It’s Valentines Day weekend 💝💝💝 and in England, we are ✨still ✨ in lockdown so any normal plans of eating out are out the window!
Hence, the perfect opportunity to try making your own homemade pasta from home and I promise it’s easier than it looks and SUCH A FUN DATE
And while I did maybe take a bit of control, Rich made the pesto all by himself! (Aka with instruction 🙈). All jokes aside, we had so much fun cooking this together and the meal tasted even better after!
HOMEMADE SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI
-3-4 sweet potatoes, cut into cubes and peeled
-3-4 cups of flour (I used dovesfarm GF all purpose)
1. Bring the sweet potatoes to a boil in a pot of salted water. Cook until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and mash your potatoes until smooth.
2. In a bowl or on the counter slowly add your flour in, kneading the dough as you go along. The amount of flour really depends on the size of your sweet potatoes. Add flour until you achieve the consistency of play dough or the dough doesn’t ‘pull apart’ stringy. Form the dough into a square, section into 4 corners, and take 1/4 of the dough.
3. Lightly dust a counter or large cutting board. Roll your dough section into a long tube about the same thickness of your thumb. Cut into 2 cm segments. Place each segment on a fork, press down and roll the pasta on the fork to achieve the traditional shape of gnocchi (you could totally leave them looking like little pillows though!)
3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add your gnocchi a portion at a time. When they float to the surface scoop them out and into a bowl or tray to be sauced!
(GF, V, DF)
-1/2 cup walnuts
-1/2 cup olive oil
-1 tbsp nutritional yeast
-2 cloves garlic (roasted or raw)
1. Blitz all ingredients together!
You can creative here, I love a ragu or bolognese with this, or a family favourite of butter and sage sauce. We also added sautéed spinach and mushrooms and it was phenomenal 👌🏻